Homemade vinaigrette using bacon fat…um, yes please.
If you’ve never made a vinaigrette with the grease from the skillet after you’ve cooked bacon, you are missing out on the finer things in life. 😉
You’ve cooked the bacon, you might as well use some of the salty-goodness to make a dressing, amiright?!?!
This salad is hearty and filling and great for a dinner in, or as a side salad for big meal or potluck. If you’re transporting it, you’ll need a way to warm the vinaigrette and can toss it in with the other salad ingredients just before serving.
Mmmmmmm! Hope you enjoy this salad!
Bacon & Spinach Salad with Homemade Dressing
- 1 lb. clamshell baby spinach leaves
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled with 3 Tbsp drippings reserved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- 3 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp spicy brown or Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the baby spinach, crumbled bacon, thinly sliced red onion, hard boiled egg slices and crumbled blue cheese.
- In a resealable glass container, add 3 Tbsp warm bacon drippings with the sugar, spicy or Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, dried thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper. Shake vigorously.
- Pour the warm Bacon Vinaigrette over the salad.
- Serve Spinach & Bacon Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette for lunch or light dinner, or as side salad.