We’re doing fakeout-takeout at home today!
This simple ground beef, cooked in a delicious hoisin-based sauce…with some crunchy veggies…all wrapped up in some large iceburg or Bibb lettuce —> fabulous and simple weeknight skillet dinner!
Did my boys eat this in lettuce wrap? No. They ate this in tortillas and Steve and I enjoyed the lettuce wraps! (And the rest of the lettuce became salad for lunch later in the week. Unfortunately, there was no leftover meat and veggies!)
We hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 8 large lettuce leaves (or tortillas)
- Sesame seeds, as garnish
- Fruit or sticky rice, as side
- Seed and slice red bell pepper into 1-inch strips. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the sliced red bell pepper and matchstick carrots. Drain and return to skillet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, minced onion, garlic powder, and ground ginger. Pour over the browned ground beef, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, allowing flavors to mingle.
- Swirl the cornstarch with a tablespoon or two of water and stir it into the sauce. Let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken the sauce. Spoon beef mixture into lettuce leaves.
- Prepare the fruit, or cook the rice.
- Serve Asian Beef Lettuce Wraps with sesame seed garnish and fruit or rice as side dish.