I*heart* French Toast Casseroles! I love how you can take SUPER STALE french bread and turn it into a breakfast (or dinner) masterpiece! By soaking the bread overnight in a fruity, egg-milk mixture, stale french bread can be completely transformed and redeemed!!! When Andrea sent this recipe, I HAD to try it!
Note: The marked down french loaf bread that I *knew* was in the freezer was not to be found 🙁 So I used some burger buns from the freezer instead! This was sweet enough in and of itself that it did not need any syrup!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar ($.15)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon ($.03)
- 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine ($.40)
- 3 apples ($.99) peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries (FREE!) From Walgreens trip two weeks ago!
- 1 French Loaf ($.79) Look for these when they are marked down and then freeze if you don't eat right away! cut into 1 inch slices
- 6 eggs ($.60) lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used rice milk!) ($.15)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract ($.10) (or use homemade vanilla extract!)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon ($.05)
- Favorite fruit: bananas, cantaloupe, berries or Fruit Salad ($1)
- 6-8 slices bacon ($.75) We rarely eat a whole package of bacon because it's not a part of our regular diet, so I freeze what we don't eat right away! Just separate it into however many slices you wish to eat so that you can just thaw what you need!
- In a large bowl, mix together brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix in melted butter or margarine. Stir in chopped apples and dried cranberries until evenly coated. Pour into prepared pan.
- Arrange french loaf slices in an even layer over apples.
- In same bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Pour over bread, making sure every slice is fully soaked. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate over night. THIS IS KEY!
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Remove dish from refrigerator while the over is heating. Bake covered for 40 minutes. Remove cover, and bake 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Prepare your favorite fruit or turkey bacon.
- Serve Apple Cranberry French Toast Bake with Fruit and/or Bacon!