I don’t remember the last time that I made muffins “from a box.” And I’m afraid if I tried muffins from a box, I wouldn’t like them. They may be extra sweet…but I’m afraid they wouldn’t taste real. Or good even.
Since I gave up processed sugar and white flours this month, I’ve had to get creative with baking. I did get some wheat berries and sucanat to help make some sweeter treats that didn’t have white flour or sugar involved. And I thought adding a crumb topping would be helpful since sucanat isn’t quite as sweet as sugar. The sweet crumb topping was a perfect addition to these muffins.
These were phenomenal.
I did not think the kids would like them because they were made with all whole wheat flour (I’ve generally made muffins with half white and half wheat flour). I thought the density and thickness of the muffins from being made with all whole wheat would be a turn off.
Well, let me tell you…there were none left to freeze!
Between afternoon snack and being requested again that night for dessert, these guys didn’t even have a chance to get into the freezer.
Whole Wheat Banana Strawberry Crumb Muffins
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 18 to 22 minutes
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup sucanat
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed strawberries
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sucanat
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 12 muffin tins or line with paper cups.
- In a large stand mixer or mixing bowl, beat together the bananas, sucanat, egg, oil and applesauce. Beat in the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently fold in 1 cup of mashed strawberries.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the whole wheat flour, cinnamon and sucanat. Cut in the butter with fork or pastry blender.
- Pour the batter into the greased muffin tin and then divide the topping evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve warm with butter.
- Makes 12 muffins.