This is a classic example of being creative with ingredients you have on hand.
I made this for us early last week…using up the tomatoes from Aldi from the week before, and the feta cheese from Monday’s shopping trip. Also, this is another example of a meal that uses an “expensive ingredient,” that is paired with a few other inexpensive ingredients and pantry staples to keep the overall cost of the meal down.
(Feta = expensive…pasta/tomatoes/egg = inexpensive.)
This meal ended up being dinner for just Steve and I (the kids had leftovers since they can’t have dairy) and after his first bite, Steve began staking claims on the leftovers. He took what was left for lunch to work the next day…and the “euchre lunch club” was insanely jealous of his “gourmet lunch.” Amazing how a few simple ingredients can be cooked up in a way that is “gourmet” but still very inexpensive to put together!
Three Cheese Spaghetti Bake
Adapted from Three Cheese Spaghetti Pie
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 9-10 oz. whole grain spaghetti noodles ($.30) One pounds for $.50 with sale and coupon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.05) Coupon available here
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar ($.10)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes ($.69) Aldi sale
- 1 small onion, chopped ($.20)
- 6 oz. package Feta cheese ($3.99)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese ($.50)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup milk ($.10)
- 2 eggs ($.20)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat to 350.
- Cook the pasta noodles as directed. Drain and rinse with cold water. (If you don’t rinse, the heat from the pasta can cook the eggs in the cheese mixture…so get them nice and cool before combining.)
- Meanwhile, in a large, ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and saute the tomatoes and chopped onion, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until most of the tomatoes have “popped.”
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Feta, Parmesan, mozzarella, milk and eggs. Once the pasta is rinsed and cooled, fold it into the cheese mixture.
- Then combine the cheese-pasta mixture with the sauteed onions and tomatoes. Spread flat in the skillet.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until eggs have set in the middle. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.
- Serve Three Cheese Spaghetti Pie with side salad, fresh fruit or vegetables (whatever you have on hand!).