Dear Chairman of the Kid Food Hall of Fame Committee,
I’d like to nominate this recipe to be inducted in the class of 2011 for Best Kid Friendly recipe for the following reasons.
1. All 3 children finished their entire plates in record time.
2. All 3 children asked for seconds and ate them all.
3. And we didn’t have to rush home from swim practice to get dinner ready…it was ready when we got home!
Thanks for the consideration-
A Happy Mom of Kids with Full Bellies
Seriously…we’ll be making this again before the winter hits! The sweet potatoes were perfectly delicious…almost like they were “maple steamed”…the chicken was perfect (we prefer chicken thighs in the slow cooker over chicken breasts, but if you don’t like chicken thighs, this will totally work with chicken breasts.) The carrots also had a sweeter flavor…and all 3 kids ate them willingly without being prodded. (Carrots are not their favorite veggie…but they really liked these.)
If you don’t want to purchase expensive maple syrup, try Crystal’s Homemade Maple Syrup. We used to make it this way when we lived in the Dominican Republic. Or, you can do as I do, and buy maple syrup from Amazon using Swagbucks credits.
Slow Cooker Maple Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours in slow cooker
- 1 pkg (about 1.5 lbs.) boneless skinless chicken thighs ($2.82) $1.88/lb sale last week
- Salt and pepper
- About 3 Tbsp maple syrup, drizzled over chicken (free from Amazon, or $.50)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed ($1.25)
- About 1/2 lb. baby carrots (or 4-5 peeled carrots sticks) ($.67)
- 1 small red onion ($.40)
- Salt and pepper over the top
- Place the chicken the base of the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the maple syrup all over the chicken.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes, baby carrots or carrot sticks and chopped red onion over the top. Sprinkle a little more salt and pepper over it all.
- Set the slow cooker on low and let cook for 8 hours.
- Serve Slow Cooker Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Baby Carrots.
- (If you don’t like chicken thighs, use 3 chicken breasts.)
::: Download the FREE $5 Dinners Toolbar – never miss a recipe, coupon, deal or meal plan! Learn more. :::
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!