I love experimenting with rice and beans. They don’t have to be boring, as their reputation generally suggests! These were excellent. The pineapple juice gave just enough sweetness to balance the coconut milk. We will certainly have this again!
I also cooked up some extra beans and I put them into the freezer so I can quickly incorporate them into a future meal!
1 15 oz. can of lite coconut milk ($1.39) Used coupon in this week’s newspaper for Thai kitchen products!
About 1/3 cup of pineapple juice from a can of pineapple ($.25-ish)
1/2 cup of water
1 cup uncooked white rice ($.20)
Salt/Pepper, to taste
2 cups cooked pinto beans ($.40)
4 carrot sticks, peeled and cut into circles ($.40)
Honey drizzles ($.25)
2 broccoli heads ($.74) On sale for $1.48/bunch this week!
(1/2. Cook about 1 cup of pinto beans in 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium high. Cover and cook for 1.5 -2 hours, or until beans are soft. Remove from heat, drain liquid.)
1. In medium saucepan, bring coconut milk, pineapple juice and water to a rolling boil. Add 1 cup of rice and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand for 5 more minutes (do not uncover!). Fluff with fork before adding the beans.
2. Combine beans and rice in saucepan.
3. Steam carrots in steamer, or cook in 1/2 cup of water in small saucepan. Drizzle with honey to sweeten them up a smidge!
4. Steam broccoli in stovetop steamer or in microwavable bowl covered with plastic wrap.
5. Serve Coconut Rice and Beans with Honey Sweetened Carrots and Steamed Broccoli!