I love experimenting with rice and beans. They don’t have to be boring, as their reputation generally suggests! These were excellent. The pineapple juice gave just enough sweetness to balance the coconut milk. We will certainly have this again!
I also cooked up some extra beans and I put them into the freezer so I can quickly incorporate them into a future meal!
- 15 oz. can light coconut milk
- 20 oz. can sliced pineapples in juices drain and save the juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 oz. can pinto beans
- 16 oz. bag baby carrots
- slices pineapple, from the can side dish
- 2 broccoli heads side dish
- honey drizzled onto carrots
- In medium saucepan, bring coconut milk, pineapple juice and water to a rolling boil. Add 1 cup of rice and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand for 5 more minutes (do not uncover!). Fluff with fork before adding the drained pinto beans.
- Combine beans and rice in saucepan.
- Steam carrots in steamer, or cook in 1/2 cup of water in small saucepan. Drizzle with honey to sweeten them up a smidge!
- Steam broccoli in stovetop steamer or in microwavable bowl covered with plastic wrap.
- Serve Coconut Rice and Beans with carrots and broccoli.