This meal is inspired by my brother in law. We went to visit them in Chi-town this past Labor Day weekend. He cooked up a storm! It was such a joy to watch him take on the same role as his dad! Host and chef! Also, want to say a quick congrats to my BIL for running the Chicago marathon and doing so in honor and memory of your dad!
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 2 medium or 1 large zucchini ($1.01)
- 1/2 onion ($.20)
- 10 eggs ($1.59)
- 1/4 cup milk ($.05)
- 1/2 cup cheese ($.42)
- 2-3 T oil ($.05)
- 1 pear and 1 orange (or other favorite fall fruit!) ($1.29)
Disclaimer: If Hubs had made this meal, the omelets would have come out perfectly! He is much more patient than I have been or ever will be! My version turned a little scrambly!
- Thinly slice or dice zucchini. Finely chop onion.
- Whisk eggs and milk with a little salt and pepper.
- Heat skillet on high. Add 1-2 T oil. Add egg mixture and let cook a little. Add zucchini, onion and cheese. Once eggs have cooked mostly through. Flip the omelet over and cook another 1-2 minutes. Fold and serve with sliced fresh fruit.
PLEASE If anyone has any tips on omelet making, do let us all know!