Y’all. Tonight’s meal is inspired by Big Mama and her love of obsession with Order Up and their veggie tacos! If you are ever in San Antonio, you have got to stop in! I promise you won’t be disappointed! Every meal is made from scratch, using fresh ingredients. It’s scrumptious, y’all!
(Thinking about TX and Big Mama makes me wanna say “y’all!” She’s got the cutest TX accent! Something I did not inherit, despite living there for 22 years!?!)
Y’all enjoy now, ya hear!
Veggie Tacos and Spanish Rice
So fresh and so filling! We love this meal and hope you will too!
Servings - 4 servings
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 6 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Dash of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 2 green bell peppers seeded and sliced
- 5 mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt, to taste
- Cook 1 cup of rice in 2.5 cups of water. Bring water boil. Add rice. Return to boil. Add other 1/2 can of tomato sauce. Add seasonings. Cover rice and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut bell peppers, onions and mushrooms into strips/slices. Saute in olive oil until vegetables are tender. Stir often.
- Place tortillas open on a baking sheet. Top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until all cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven, top with sauteed vegetables, roll up and they are ready to be served.
- Make homemade guacamole. Slice open and remove seed. Scoop out flesh from avocado. Smash with fork. Add crushed garlic, lemon juice, and salt (to taste). Other optional mixins: 1-2 Tbsp Rotel, 1-2 Tbsp sour cream.
- Serve veggie tacos topped guacamole and a side of Spanish rice.
GREAT strike-out there!! 😉
Elder Family says
I’ve been wanting to make Mexican rice and had no idea how. Thanks for the recipe. I’ll be fixing this soon.
Anne G. says
Y’all take take a gander over yonder 🙂 I inherited big time! Hope y’all are doin’ well…….
Your Frugal Friend, Niki says
Oooh, sounds yummy! I feel a boomark comin’ on!
MMMMMM…. this is right up my alley! I LOVE veggies!!!
Thanks for answering my question so quickly. If these are for four people (say 2 adults and 2 kids) how much would you do for 2 adults, 2 boys who eat like adults and two kids? Would you triple the recipe?
That looks delicious. Thanks for another wonderful frugal meal idea!