It’s great to be back in the kitchen! I missed cooking for a few days while I was away!
Tonight’s meal could be made in so many ways, but I settled for the Vegetarian style because I saw the asparagus first in the fridge and thought it would be a fun twist! I was hoping I had some spinach left, but it was all gone! If you wanted to add meat to this soup, just add 1/2 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb ground sausage, or 1 lb ground beef.
Vegetarian Lasagna Soup
A comforting soup!
Servings - 4 servings
- 2 cups homemade vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can organic tomato paste
- 1 lb asparagus, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups pasta (elbow, spiral, or broken lasagna noodles) Use rice pasta if GF
- 2 dollops of ricotta cheese
- Couple handfuls of shredded cheese, to garnish
- 4 Homemade Rolls
- In large saucepan, add broth, canned tomatoes, tomato paste plus 2 cans worth of water.
- Whisk in tomato paste.
- Add finely chopped asparagus and seasonings, to taste. (Add in other veggies and/or cooked meat at this point).
- Let cook about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of pasta and 2 dollops of ricotta cheese to the soup.
- Let cook about 10 minutes, until pasta is cooked through.
- Garnish with favorite shredded cheese. (Omit cheeses if Casein Free!)
- Serve immediately. (Leaving soup on simmer will cause the pasta to overcook!)
- Make Homemade Rolls.
- Serve Lasagna Soup with Homemade Rolls.
Q? you cook the pasta in the soup? not in water separately? doesn’t it make the soup get statchy?
Jan- Yes I cooked the pasta in the soup just before serving it. Tasted fine to me! you could certainly cook it another pot and then add it just before serving. Pasta that sits in soup for too long overcooks and gets soagy! This worked perfectly!
It’s not really vegetarian. It has chicken broth in it. Just sayin’. 🙂
This sounds so good. I will have to try it.
Chicken broth is not vegetarian. Otherwise I think it looks like a great recipe but it bothers me to see it labeled as vegetarian when the first ingredient listed contains chicken. I know it’s an easy sub but if you are going to put vegetarian in the title it seems out of place to use chicken broth. Veggie broth can be free to make too. I save all my peels and scraps in the freezer and then make a big pot of it.
[email protected] says
This sounds so yummy! I’m also always craving lasagna, but can’t seem to justify the expense of the dish when spagetti is just so darn cheap to make. I can already taste this soup and smell the fresh baked garlic bread…..yum!
Betsy Bargain says
Sounds yummy. Can’t wait to try it!
Ditto Christine and Amy. Vegetable broth or miso broth are fine substitutes to make this vegetarian.
J Roberts says
Congrats – great idea I will try it soon. I would think the noodles would cook fine in the soup and help thicken it a little.
Inexpensive, Quality Handcrafted Jewelry on Etsy.com
J Roberts says
Great recipe. Love the ingredients.