My husband has begged for me to make this simple recipe since his mother made it over the summer. Now that it’s winter, I really see the need to humor him.
Blended okra (or sliced if you like the flavor and texture) thickens the gumbo. Corn starch is an acceptable alternative if okra isn’t available in your grocer’s freezer.
Speaking of the freezer, this meal is freezable in both the before and after phases. The ingredients can be combined in a bag and frozen, then defrosted before cooking. Or the finished gumbo can be frozen in a leak-proof container.
I firmly believe the most important part of this recipe is the oregano. Don’t cheat yourself. Feel free to use more. It just makes everything feel right.
Gluten Free Vegetable and Bean Gumbo
- 2 14 oz cans diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 14 oz cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 2 cups mini peppers (I prefer yellow for a color contrast), sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 6 oz frozen okra, sliced
- red pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Spray rice cooker generously with oil.
- Combine all ingredients in rice cooker.
- Turn on and bring to boil.
- Uncover and whisk regularly.
- When sauce is thickened and vegetables are soft, the rice cooker should turn off.
- Serve over rice or with crackers.