I’m just gonna put this out there…I’m not sure why it took us 9+ years to get an Unstuffed Peppers recipe here onto $5 Dinners.
We’ve had stuffed peppers, slow cooker stuffed peppers, walking stuffed peppers, poblano stuffed peppers and more.
Finally, we get to unstuffed version.
This is a simple ground beef skillet meal…brown the ground beef, add the peppers and tomatoes, float in the white rice with some hot water. Cover tightly and simmer over low heat until rice is soft. Give it a good stir through and then top with shredded cheese before serving.
This would also be great if you subbed out the Italian seasoning for a Cajun seasoning blend. 🙂
Also, please see note in the directions if you want to use brown rice.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 green bell peppers
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups hot water
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese, as garnish
- Side salad
- Seed and chop the green bell peppers.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the minced onion, garlic powder and chopped bell peppers. Drain and return to the skillet. Stir in the drained diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Combine well and bring to bubbling over medium low heat.
- Stir in the rice with the hot water. Return to bubbling, then stir once and cover with tight fitting lid. Let cook for 18 to 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Note: if you wish to use brown rice, cook it separately and combine the the beef-pepper mixture once it is bubbling.)
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Prepare the salad.
- Serve Unstuffed Peppers with salad.