As we head into the summer months, my beloved slow cooker switches into high gear. See, I try and avoid using the oven if at all possible, so the slow cooker gets a lot of use. We all know you can save money and feed many by serving garden vegetables. One way I save is by having veggie night once a week. And sometimes the slow cooker helps me out.
All I do is rinse and slice vegetables, toss them in the slow cooker with just a tablespoon or two of olive oil and a touch of seasoning.
Now, I make a bunch of vegetables to feed my family. You notice the slow cooker is filled with veggies. We usually have some left over we can eat as a side with a meal later in the week. You might even want to freeze slow cooked veggies in meal-size portions.
- Our typical veggie plate simple supper – served with a side of bread, usually biscuits, and maybe some macaroni and cheese.
- You may want to start your slow cooker vegetable career by simply making baked potatoes in your slow cooker and serving up a potato bar with all the toppings.
- You might like my Slow Cooker Love here at $5 Dinners.
Slow Cooker Vegetables
Yield – 8-12 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 5-8 hours
- fresh vegetables
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dash of seasonings (one or more of following: salt, pepper, ranch dressing packet)
- Rinse vegetables.
- Slice to desired thickness.
- Arrange vegetables in slow cooker, pour olive oil over vegetables.
- Optional: sprinkle with a teaspoon of your favorite seasonings.
- For this large amount, cook vegetables on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-10 hours. Choose the longer cooking time if you are including potatoes.
Great idea! I never thought about doing this. We get so many veggies, I don’t know what to do.
I love this idea!! Thank you!
Weekdays, Sundays, always – the slow cooker is a wonderful tool to put to work for you!
I steamed a whole potato once in the crock pot and it worked like a charm. Tasted better then ones from the oven I thought. Might try steamed vegetables next. 🙂
Pam Stewart says
Sounds so easy and yummy! — I’m in!
Janet Estridge says
I’m cooking all veggies in the slow cooker for our dinner on Sunday.
How much olive oil do you add if you have 5 or more veggies?
Hi Janet! I would say if you are only cooking about five veggies to only put in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. The veggies have a good amount of water in them. And the 2 tablespoons worked perfectly for the amount pictured above. Enjoy!