The creamy vegetarian sauce is made from a simple soup, with few ingredients. Blending a portion of this after cooking, and adding back to the soup makes a delicious, filling cream sauce for the tortellini.
Using yellow split peas, rather than traditional green split peas, gives it a bright, spring color!
Tortellini in a Creamed Vegetarian Sauce
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 43 minutes
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas 45 cents
- 8 organic carrots 72 cents
- 6 medium potatoes 30 cents
- 10 cups of water
- A few shakes of salt and pepper
- 2 packages Buitoni three cheese tortellini ($3.59 for each 9 oz. pkg.) $7.18
- Start by making a soup: Pour the yellow split peas in a large pot. Peel and cut potatoes and carrots. Add to pot. Cover this with 10 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally for 35 minutes.
- Scoop out 2 and 1/2 cups of the soup and place in a blender. Liquefy to a creamy consistency. Then pour this back into the pot.
- Add tortellini to soup. Bring back to a boil. Cook on Medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Serve with bread and butter, if desired.
david carlson says
This looks very interesting. I look forward to trying it. What a great lowfat sauce
Where did you find dried yellow split peas?
I have made it using regular green split peas and also lentils. It is delicious!