Tomato Black Bean Barley Soup
Servings: 4 persons
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 4 cups water
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- Handful fresh basil, chopped or use 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Dollops of sour cream (optional)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Wheat Rolls
- In large saucepan, cook onion and garlic in dressing in large saucepan on medium heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except green peppers and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in green peppers. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Top each bowl with dollop of sour cream.
- Cook frozen corn according to the directions on the package.
- Make homemade wheat rolls, or serve with store bought bread.
- Serve Tomato Black Bean Barley Soup with Corn and Wheat Rolls.