This is one that I can make and we’ll polish it off. I’m raising a bunch of boys who adore Tex-Mex food and this is one of their faves. (Minus the oldest who still picks beans out of everything! As long as he is the one separating them from the rest of the meal, that’s fine with me!)
If you don’t have leftover shredded chicken, you could also cut up some boneless skinless chicken breast and saute it with the onions and then finish cooking it as the rice cooks. That would totally work too!
Also, frozen corn works too…2 cups in place of the 15 oz. can.
And pre-cooked dried beans work too. If you’re a cook your beans and freeze in 2 cup portions kinda home chef, you’re good to go to use those!
I’m all about the flexibility on this one…you make it work for you!
Hope you enjoy!
Tex Mex Chicken Skillet
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies or jalapenos (use regular diced tomatoes if you don't want the heat)
- 15 oz can corn, drained
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 2 cups leftover shredded chicken
- 1 cup white rice*
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips for scooping, optional
- Avocado slices, for side or topping
- Add the oil to a 12" skillet with tight fitting lid and saute the chopped onion. Stir in the undrained diced tomatoes, corn, black beans and shredded chicken. Mix together over medium heat, let bubble for a minute or two.
- Stir in the rice and pour the chicken broth, cumin and garlic powder, then press the rice into the broth. Bring to bubbling and then reduce heat to low, cover tightly and let cook for 20 minutes. Stir one time while the rice cooks to keep it from sticking to the bottom.
- Once cooked, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Tex Mex Chicken Skillet, scooping with tortilla chips. And maybe some avocado slices.
- *Note: If you want to use brown rice, then you'll need to pre-cook it as directed on the package and mix in the cooked rice without the broth in the directions.
A delicious recipe bound to bring everyone to the table. xo Catherine
Can’t wait to try some of these recipes. They all look delicious!!