A few notes about this lovely meal.
- These were SO GOOD, but they were super crumbly…from the beans…so I would add an egg to hold the burgers together.
- The cilantro and lettuce are from the garden.
- The bread…because I had no buns in the house. And ran out of time to make them from scratch.
- The salsa is homemade from last year’s garden. (Canned, of course.)
- The salad dressing is homemade Cilantro Lime Dressing – 1/4 cup canola oil, 3 Tbsp lime juice, 1 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Used a few spoonfuls.
- The boys ate these with ketchup, not salsa. They eat ketchup with just about everything. If this continues on into adulthood, they might need to attend a Ketchups Anonymous meeting.
And now I leave you with the burger recipe. Including the egg that I did not use, but the recipe needs.
Beef & Bean Burgers
- 1/2 yellow onion ($.15)
- 2 garlic cloves ($.10)
- 1.4 lb ground beef ($2.07)
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans, mashed ($.40) Substitute 15 ounce can, drained
- 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning ($.10)(Or make your own taco seasoning here.)
- 1 egg ($.10)
- Few spoonfuls homemade or store bought salsa ($.25)
- 12 slices bread, or 6 buns ($.60)
- Lettuce from garden
- Cilantro from garden
- Cherry tomatoes, halved ($.75)
- Cilantro Lime Dressing ($.25)
- Cut an onion in half and pull off 2 garlic cloves.