A few notes about this lovely meal.
- These were SO GOOD, but they were super crumbly…from the beans…so I would add an egg to hold the burgers together.
- The cilantro and lettuce are from the garden.
- The bread…because I had no buns in the house. And ran out of time to make them from scratch.
- The salsa is homemade from last year’s garden. (Canned, of course.)
- The salad dressing is homemade Cilantro Lime Dressing – 1/4 cup canola oil, 3 Tbsp lime juice, 1 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Used a few spoonfuls.
- The boys ate these with ketchup, not salsa. They eat ketchup with just about everything. If this continues on into adulthood, they might need to attend a Ketchups Anonymous meeting.
And now I leave you with the burger recipe. Including the egg that I did not use, but the recipe needs.
- 1/2 small yellow onion grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 2 cups pinto beans mashed
- 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning or 1 packet
- 2 Tbsp salsa
- 6 hamburger buns
- side salad
- Cut an onion in half and pull off 2 garlic cloves.
- Peel back the flaky onion layer. I like to use the "root" end to hold onto while grating the onion. Chop the garlic clovers.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, grated onion, minced garlic, mashed pinto beans and taco seasoning. Combine and form into 6 patties.
- Grill the patties, until cooked through. Serve on buns with a spoonful or two of salsa on top.
- Prepare dressing and salad.
- Serve Beef & Bean Burgers with side salad.