Sweet and Sour Lentils
Servings: 4 persons
- 1 cup lentils ($.50)
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 cup apple juice ($.15)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar ($.15)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar ($.15)
- 1 clove garlic ($.05)
- 1/2 onion, chopped, sauteed ($.30)
- 1 cup rice ($.20)
- 1 Zucchini ($.79)
- 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil ($.10)
- Cook lentils in water with salt. Bring to boil and simmer 20 minutes, until soft.
- When lentils are cooked, add apple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic and onion. Mix well and heat through until bubbly.
- Cook 1 cup rice with 2.5 cups water.
- Slice zucchini and saute in olive oil until tender.
- Serve lentils over rice. (Rice + Lentils = Complete Protein! Gotta love cheap protein!)
This is a CHEAP as it gets!!! Enjoy the meal and the bargain!