A nutritious and delicious summer side salad…or lunch! There are many great colors, textures and flavors in this dish. I set out to use up some of my corn…then threw in the FIRST tomato from my garden (more on that tomorrow!), then a cucumber that was on sale last week and needed to be used up…plus some chickpeas, parsley from the garden and a vinaigrette dressing!
Summer Side Salad
A delightfully refreshing and simple side salad, made with corn, tomatoes, cucumbers and dressing - the simplest recipes are the best!
Servings - 8 servings
- 2 - 15 oz. cans of chickpeas
- 4 corn cobs
- 1 small heirloom tomato
- 1 small cucumber
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp parsley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp rice vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Boil corn cobs for 4-5 minutes. Remove and let cool until can handle to slice off the kernels. Slice kernels.
- Dice tomato. Peel and dice cucumber. Crush the garlic. Toss all ingredients in a bowl.
- Make dressing with vinegar, olive oil, salt and crushed pepper.
- Pour dressing over chickpeas and veggies. Toss well.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours, or until cool. Serve chilled.
Jocelyn Stott says
This looks sooo yummy and perfectly for a hot day. Thanks for sharing!
I make a similar salad without the corn but with couscous and feta.
I’m so jealous of the tomato! I’ve got one that’s getting close to ripe and I can’t wait. Your salad looks good. Yum!
I have made a similar salad with black beans. If you used one can black beans and one can chickpeas it would be a nice option.
This looks wonderful! What a great way to use garden veggies iinstead of the usual green salad.
Wow! This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it out- definitely making the master meals list, thank you!
[email protected] says
Love the combination of ingredients and flavors! And colors too! Looks like a salad I’d definitely want to try.
How long did you freeze them and how did they taste thawed? I have read that you must blanch corn first to stop the ?ripening? process or it can continue even frozen?