Lentils have a bad reputation. They are known for their bland taste, but they really don’t have to be.
With enough heat and kick, lentils can be transformed into a delicious, time-warming, taste bud-igniting spicy lentil soup. Try this recipe:
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 jalapenos chopped
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- In a large saucepan, saut the chopped onions, crushed garlic cloves and chopped jalapenos for four to five minutes, or until onions turn translucent.
- Stir in the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, broth, water, lentils and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the lentils are soft, pour the soup into a blender or food processor and puree the soup.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle some shredded cheese over the top of each bowl.
- Serve spicy lentil soup with tortilla chips.