Lentils have a bad reputation. They are known for their bland taste, but they really donâ€™t have to be.
With enough heat and kick, lentils can be transformed into a delicious, time-warming, taste bud-igniting spicy lentil soup. Try this recipe:
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar or pepper jack
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- In a large saucepan, saut the chopped onions, crushed garlic cloves and chopped jalapenos for four to five minutes, or until onions turn translucent.
- Stir in the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, broth, water, lentils and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the lentils are soft, pour the soup into a blender or food processor and puree the soup.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle some shredded cheese over the top of each bowl.
- Serve spicy lentil soup with tortilla chips.
Do you have a favorite cold weather soup? Iâ€™d love to try it out!
Recipe originally posted on SCJohnson.com.