We love shredded chicken…I will often make large batches of it and freeze in meal size portions. This makes “Mexican StackEs,” chicken tacos and other favorite chicken meals all that much faster to get on the table. (More on how to cook a whole chicken.)
For this chicken, I used what I had on hand in the freezer. I dropped a package of chicken breasts and a package of chicken thighs into the slow cooker…a good mix of white and dark meat! Along with some lime juice, olive oil and big hunks of cilantro and bam…
(Check out the 6 second video on Vine below. Slow cooker with oil/juice/onion. Cilantro, garlic. Chicken thawing. Taco shells awaiting their filling!)
â€” Erin Chase (@5dollardinners) February 27, 2013
Seriously y’all…the cilantro flavor totally infused into the chicken as it cooked all day. Perfect for using in your favorite Mexican chicken dish.
(Also, I should add that here in TX you can get large bunches of cilantro for just $.29!)
Slow Cooker Cilantro-Lime Shredded Chicken
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.05)
- 3 limes, juiced ($1)
- 1 onion, chopped ($.20)
- 1 lb. chicken breast ($1.99)
- 1 lb. chicken thighs ($1.99)
- Couple garlic cloves, crushed ($.15)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro ($.15)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin ($.03)
- Salt and pepper
- Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once cooking is complete, use 2 forks to pull the chicken apart. Pull out any long cilantro stems, if necessary.
- Serve Cilantro-Lime Shredded Chicken in favorite chicken recipes.
- (Portion out chicken into meal size portions and place in plastic freezer baggies and freeze for future use.)