I had firsts.
And *maybe* fourths.
(Perhaps it’s the half marathon training and the fact that my body is just CRAVING calories! Not only am I still full-time nursing, I’ve decided to train for the San Antonio Rock n Roll Half Marathon that will take place in November. I think I’m burning close to 3,000 calories per day. Hence *maybe* the fourth serving of this delicious quinoa salad.)
(But truth be told, I’d likely have eaten 4 bowls of this if I was not nursing and not training for this half marathon.)
Here is a brief look at how this meal comes together…
The chicken and quinoa.
Toss all together and then pour in the homemade creamy maple vinaigrette dressing. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups white quinoa
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
Creamy Maple Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonaisse
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa with cold water.
- Cook the quinoa in 2 parts water: 1 part quinoa ratio. Bring water to a boil, then add quinoa and reduce heat and cover. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until little ring separates from the grain.
- Chop apples, walnuts and shred the cooked chicken.
- Prepare dressing. Whisk all dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Toss together the cooked quinoa, chopped apples, walnuts, raisins and shredded chicken. Pour dressing over the top. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Serve Chicken and Quinoa Waldorf Salad with Creamy Maple Vinaigrette with veggies or salad.