I may have gotten a little carried away over the holidays when it came to buying canned pumpkin. The last two years there was a canned pumpkin shortage and I didn’t want to run out of it in the middle of the year when there are no cans of pumpkin in the grocery store.
Now I find myself with a large stockpile of canned pumpkin, just in case. We make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and Cookies regularly. But I wanted to change it up a little! Here is a fun new recipe I encourage you to try.
Pumpkin Spice French Toast Bake
- 1 French bread loaf torn into one inch pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp each of ginger, allspice and nutmeg
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Powdered sugar or maple syrup for serving
- Side of fresh fruit
- Place torn French bread loaf pieces into a lightly greased 8 inch by 8 inch glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg over the bread pieces and toss lightly.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, canned pumpkin and maple syrup. Pour over the spiced bread pieces.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 F. Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- During the last 20 minutes of baking, cover lightly with a piece of foil to prevent browning of the bread pieces.
- Let cool slightly before cutting. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or maple syrup. Serve with a side of fresh fruit.
What’s your favorite make-ahead breakfast?