A little taste of the tropics right here my friend. This is a fantastic-ly simple meal that your kids are going to love, and you will too!
We love these tropical flavors from the pineapple, the mango & the bell pepper. For our family, this is one of those meals that’s polished quickly and the boys want more chicken and mango.
This meal brings back floods of memories from our time in the Dominican Republic…the mango trees that we had in our backyard, and watching pineapple plants slowly emerge on the plants on our morning walks to work. Picking up really dirty green peppers from the farmer’s market and soaking and washing them.
Pull all these memories back together and throw them all into a dinner the family will love and our hearts and our tummies are happy!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1/2 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tbso corn starch
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base (or 1 cup chicken stock)
- 1 small, ripe mango peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup pineapple chunks, with juice
- Rice, as side dish
- In a frying pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken tenders, onion, and bell pepper. Cook until the chicken is lightly browned and 165 degrees internal temperature.
- Remove chicken mixture to a dish and set aside.
- In a small cup, stir together the juice and corn starch until no lumps remain. Set aside.
- Return the skillet to the heat without wiping or rinsing. Add water and bouillon base and bring to a boil over medium heat. When it comes to a boil stir in the corn starch and juice mixture. Return to the heat and boil for 1 minute. Sauce will thicken. (NOTE: If you don't have the bouillon base, you can use 1 cup of chicken stock.)
- Add the mango and pineapple with juice to the boiling water mixture and simmer for 3 minutes until fruit is thoroughly heated.
- Return the chicken and vegetables to the pan. Stir to coat with sauce.
- Serve Pineapple Mango Chicken over rice.