Over the Christmas holidays, we visited the Second Street Market here in Dayton.Â I saw these little gems in a bin…and they were calling my name.
I like brussel sprouts. I’ve liked them all my life.Â But I’ve never cooked with them.Â I’d only eaten them from a bag out of the freezer. Cooked, of course.
But never had I made them from “fresh” sprouts.
Since I wasn’t exactly sure what I was to do with these little green gems, so I searched around.Â Every where I looked, said to cook them with pancetta or bacon.Â But I didn’t have any bacon on hand, and well, pancetta is just too pricey for me!Â So I ended up deciding to work up a pasta.Â Seemed safe.
After all, I didn’t want to screw this up and waste these green little gems.
Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Chicken and Pasta
- 3/4 lb. Brussels sprouts ($1.49) Bought at $1.99/lb
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.10)
- 1 tsp lemon juice ($.03)
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1 lb.) ($1.89)
- 2 cups shell pasta ($.50)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice ($.25)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse brussels sprouts and remove any yellow leaves.