When I saw mushrooms marked down at the store…I took advantage…and I made this soup!Â That night.
I found (and slightly modified) the recipe in the Smuckers Family Favorite Recipes booklet.
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrot stalks, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth (Substitute with vegetable broth for a vegetarian version!)
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sister Schubert's Dinner Rolls
- Butter and Jam
- Add butter or margarine to large saucepan and let it melt. Saute the chopped onions, diced carrots and garlic.
- Once onions become opaque, add in the sliced and/or chopped mushrooms. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and broth and bring to a boil. Add the pearled barley, dill, parsley, salt and pepper. (Add cooked chicken or turkey here if you wish!).
- Reduce heat so the soup cooks at a rolling boil. Cook for 45 minutes, or until barley has cooked through.
- (Note: I used pearled barley, not quick cooking barley. Follow time directions on package if using quick cook barley!)
- Warm rolls as directed on package and serve with butter and jam.
- Serve Mushroom Barley Soup with Rolls and Jam.