When I saw mushrooms marked down at the store…I took advantage…and I made this soup!Â That night.
I found (and slightly modified) the recipe in the Smuckers Family Favorite Recipes booklet.
Mushroom Barley Soup
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine (I used dairy free)($.20)
- 1 small onion, chopped ($.20)
- 2 carrot stalks, peeled and diced ($.20)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed ($.10)
- About 8 oz. of mushrooms, chopped and sliced ($.99)
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth (free)(Substitute with vegetable broth for a vegetarian version!)
- 1 cup pearled barley ($.50)
- 2 tsp dried dill ($.25)
- 2 tsp fresh parsley ($.25)(wishing I'd made this earlier in the year with parsley from the garden!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sister Schubert's Dinner Rolls ($1) Used coupon when on sale!
- Butter and Jam ($.25)
- Add butter or margarine to large saucepan and let it melt. Saute the chopped onions, diced carrots and garlic. Once onions become opaque, add in the sliced and/or chopped mushrooms. Saute for 2-3 minutes.