Mystery Soup Revealed!!! I TOTALLY forgot to actually add the soup to the menu, therefore did not have any items for said “mystery soup”on my grocery list, so this is really “pantry soup!”
- 1 cup rice
- 6 oz tomato sauce
- 1 packet Casa Noel black bean chipotle seasoning mix or taco seasoning
- 15 oz Red Gold diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/2 cup dried small red beans
- 1/2 cup dried black beans
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen organic corn
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3 corn
- Rinse and soak beans overnight or for at least 2 hours in HOT water. Pour off juices.
- Place beans in large saucepan. Add water so beans are at least 2 inches "under" water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high so that beans continue to cook at a gently rolling boil. Cook for 1.5 - 2 hours, until beans are soft.
- As beans are cooking, add 1/2 can of tomato sauce (save rest to make spanish rice!), can of diced tomatoes and green chiles, chopped onion, corn, cumin and salt/pepper. Whisk in 1 tsp cornstarch to thicken soup a little.
- Cook 1 cup of rice in 2.5 cups of water. Bring water boil. Add rice. Return to boil. Add other 1/2 can of tomato sauce. Add 1/2 packet of Casa Noel seasonings. (Now, add other half of Casa Noel seasonings to soup.) Cover rice and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Shuck and boil corn for 3-4 minutes in large saucepan.
- Serve soup with corn and spanish rice on the side. (Garnish with sour cream and shredded cheese if you like!)