It’s we’re on a bit of a quinoa roll these days! I have a number of recipes on One Dish Dinners using quinoa (with another coming next week!), Lisa shared her Cilantro-Lime Quinoa last week and we’ve made a number of different quinoa recipes here on $5 Dinners!
If you haven’t heard of quinoa (keen-wa), it’s a gluten free grain from Peru that is gaining popularity quickly here in the US. It tastes like rice, sorta. It has a texture like….well, I dunno. It has its own texture.
The only thing I wished I’d had on hand were olives…kalamata, black or green…any would be a lovely addition to this meal!
This Mediterranean Quinoa would make a lovely vegetarian meal, a nice side dish alongside some grilled chicken, or a non-vegetarian meal with diced chicken mixed in. Enjoy it as you wish…
- 1 3/4 cups quinoa
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber
- 3 medium sized tomatoes diced
- chopped oregano and parsley garnish
- 4 oz. feta cheese crumbles
- Add 4 cups hot water to large saucepan, bring to boil. Once boiling, add the quinoa, stir, return to boiling, cover, reduce eat with let cook for about 15 minutes over low heat. It is cooked with the little circles separate from the grain.
- In a mixing bowl, add the lemon juice, garlic cloves, chopped cucumber, chopped tomatoes, couple leaves of fresh chopped parsley and oregano.
- When the quinoa is cooked, remove it from the heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Toss with the other vegetables in the mixing bowl. Sprinkle the Feta cheese into the quinoa and toss lightly.
- Serve Mediterranean Quinoa, as is. With grilled chicken on the side. Or grilled chicken cubes mixed in.