An easy and inexpensive dinner idea for vegetarian lentil burritos! These are hearty, nutritious, gluten free, and budget friendly – what else can you ask for?!
- 1 cup white or brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 cup lentils` any color
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 8 small tortillas flour or corn
- 1 cup shredded cheese garnish
- veggies side dish
- Cook rice: In saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups of water or chicken broth to boil. Add 1 cup of white or brown rice. Return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. For white rice, cook for 20 minutes. For brown rice, cook for 50 minutes.
- Cook lentils: In saucepan, add 1 cup of lentils plus water to cover lentils by an inch. Bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain any excess water.
- Combine rice, lentils and can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles. Stir in garlic powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper.
- Lay tortillas (corn or flour...whichever you prefer!) out and spoon rice/lentil mixture into the tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and roll up. Place burritos in 8x8 baking dish.
- Place lentil burritos in a warm oven (250 degrees) for about 20 minutes, giving cheese time to melt. Don't leave in too long or the tortillas will get crispy!
- Warm the veggies.
- Serve Lentil Burritos with veggies.