If you are ever in need of an UBER frugal meal, here you go!
Not only was this quite tasty, dinner really doesn’t get much cheaper than this.
And we had leftovers.Â Which will probably end up in a tortilla with some salsa!
Note: When I pulled this from the oven, before adding the cheese, it occurred to me that this would be a fantastic and healthfulÂ baby food recipe.Â Puree the cooked lentils and rice for younger babies, or mush with fork for older babies, or feed as is for “table food” babies!
Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole
- 3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable) (free if homemade)
- 3/4 cups green lentils, although any color will do ($.30)
- 1/2 cup brown rice ($.20)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped ($.15)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning ($.10)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese ($.85) Bought last week when on sale for $1.25 and had a $.45 coupon! Of course, omit if dairy-free.
- 2 large broccoli heads ($.40) HUGE sale this week!
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Add broth, lentils, brown rice, chopped onion, and spices to 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Stir together and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake at 300 F for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle shredded cheese over the top and return to oven and bake uncovered for 20 more minutes, or until cheese is completely melted.
- Steam broccoli in stovetop steamer or in a microwavable dish covered with plastic wrap for 4-5 mintues.
- Serve Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole with Steamed Broccoli.
P.S. I do believe this meal is now the CHEAPEST meal I’ve ever made!