A couple of weeks (months probably…where does the time go?!?), we shared a Naan Pizza with Olives and Feta recipe and we had quite a few requests for a homemade naan bread recipe.
Here it is!
Crazy delicious, perfectly smooth and soft. And be warned…you take one bite, you’ll eat several pieces!
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 packet)
- 1 cup warm milk, 125 degrees F
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- Additional butter for oiling the pan/griddle.
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT garlic in bread machine. Youll want to place the wet ingredients in the bottom followed by the dry. Make sure to leave out the garlic.
- Start the machine on the dough setting.
- When the dough cycle is completed, remove the dough and knead in the garlic on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll the dough pieces into balls and place them on a greased pan. Cover the pan with greased plastic wrap and a towel and allow them to rise until theyve doubled their size. This takes 20 - 40 minutes.
- Preheat griddle or frying pan to medium high heat (around 375 degrees).
- Once the second rise is complete, youll want to butter the griddle.
- Roll one ball of dough out into to around inch. Place the dough on on the griddle and cook for 3 minutes until fluffy and showing brown bubbled areas.
- Brush the raw side with butter. Flip the bread and brush the browned side with butter. Cook another 2 to 4 minutes until done. The naan should be nicely browned on both sides.
- Complete the steps for all remaining dough.