Talk about flavorful.
I’m amazed at how 1 sprig of sage can make such a difference in the flavor of the chicken…but, of course, the cooking method has infuse that flavor too!
In addition to flavorful, it’s simple too. Drop the chicken onto a piece of foil and add the sage, some diced onions, olive oil and vinegar. I add a few drops of vinegar to the grill packet as well, as it tends to help take the edge off the “chicken-y taste” and allows the sage flavor to take over.
As the chicken cooks and steams within the foil packet, the juices and sage flavor percolate in the foil and give the chicken a delicious flavor and tender texture.
As we continue on the Summertime Pantry Challenge, we had this with the Rosemary Bread from the farmer’s market in Ashtabula (that I sliced and froze.)Â We also had some vegetables from the freezer.
Yeah for simple and flavorful dinners!
- 4 small chicken breasts, about 1 1/4 lb. ($2.50)
- 4 sage sprigs (from the garden)
- 1 small onion, diced ($.20)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil drizzles ($.03)
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar drizzles ($.03)
- Salt and pepper
- Sliced Rosemary bread ($.75)
- Frozen Broccoli from the freezer ($.80)
- Place the chicken breasts on a piece of foil that's large enough to wrap around the chicken. Add a sprig of sage, a few pieces of diced onion, a drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Wrap the foil around the chicken. Grill for about 20 minutes, over direct heat, or until the chicken has cooked through. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the meat.
- Serve Grilled Sage Chicken Packets with sliced bread and vegetables.