I recently got some tilapia for $1.99/lb. It’s rarely that price, so I got enough for 2 meals (a little over a pound for each meal)…and now I’m wishing I’d gotten more.
I’m on a grilling kick right now and really wanted to grill up some of the tilapia. Tilapia is a very delicate and tender fish and I knew it wouldn’t stand a chance on the grill grates…so foil packet it was!
This is so simple…a matter of adding some seasoning and a few slices of lemons/oranges. I’m not sure that the prep work could be any easier, actually!
Sprinkle kosher salt, pepper and some ground ginger onto each tilapia fillet.
Lay 2 orange and 2 lemon slices on top.
Wrap and grill.
(We enjoyed this as part of our “surf and turf” Father’s day dinner last night! The kids and I ate this…and Steve shared some of his monster steak with us too! Plus we had an entire plate leftover!)
Grilled Citrus Tilapia Packets
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 tilapia fillets, about 1 1/4 lb. total
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 12 oz steamfresh green beans
- Cook the brown rice according to package instructions. Can take 20-50 minutes, depending on the rice.
- Place the tilapia fillets onto a piece of foil that is large enough to fold up around them. Sprinkle with some ginger and kosher salt and pepper.
- Place 2 thin orange slices and 2 thin lemon slices over the tilapia. Wrap up in the foil.
- Grill for about 10 minutes, at around 350 -400 if you grill has a thermometer. Fish will be cooked through when it's white and flaky in the middle.
- Cook the green beans, or other vegetable, as directed.
- Serve Grilled Citrus Tilapia Packets with rice and green beans.