My husband and son love pizza: the greasier the better. That kind of pizza really does not agree with my system.
Before we started becoming more frugal, we had delivery pizza of this description about once a week. It was bad for our wallets and bad for our bodies. Over several months, I have gotten my family accustomed to enjoying less greasy pizzas — usually home made (when I plan ahead a wee bit) and sometimes, frozen (when I really don’t feel like cooking and I bought some on sale).
This pizza is a real hit at my house. It rather surprised me how much both my husband and my son both love this pizza. It is about a far away as you can get from the heavy, thick crusted, tomato laden, meat infused, cheese clogged stuff they used to love. It is a wonderful, delicious, even gourmet tasting delight that costs tens of dollars less than delivery, is far and away healthier and is delicious enough for the whole family to enjoy.
I got the pitas on sale for $1 for 8 of them, the ricotta on a discount, the sliced mushrooms on sale, the grated cheese from the freezer (bought on sale) and the garlic was a pantry staple. The four servings of pizza cost under $4.00. Even with the addition of the salad, the whole meal was under $5.00.
Serve these pizzas with a salad for a healthy, delicious and super quick and easy dinner.
- 4 whole wheat pita
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Crush and chop the garlic into fairly thick pieces.
- Lay the four pita bread out flat.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese over each pita.
- Lay out the mushroom slices and sprinkle on the garlic.
- Sprinkle with few pinches of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy with a green salad.