This meal is sorta “2-n-1″…it could be vegetarian…or it could be done with meat or diced chicken!
Here’s the lowdown…
Since I only used 1 cup of the crushed tomatoes, I ended up using the rest to make spaghetti sauce for the boys while I’m gone this weekend.Â Before stashing it in the fridge, I tossed about 1 cup with the eggplant and pasta for the boys…then tossed the eggplant and pasta with cheese for us.Â Make sense?Â I don’t normally make “2 for 1 meals,” but that’s how this meal played out tonight.
So could be meatless, or toss in a bit of your favorite meat and spaghetti sauce!
Also, today I sliced up my green pepper and orange pepper with an onion and froze them.Â I wanted to make chicken fajita pizza tomorrow night before I leave, but that’s not gonna happen…rather than let it go to waste, I froze them so that I could saute them with the chicken next week when I can make that pizza!
Eggplant Penne Pasta with How to Prepare Eggplant
- 2 small eggplants ($1.50) $.75 a piece from the farmer's market stop!
- Couple dashes of salt
- 16 oz. whole wheat penne pasta ($1.49)
- 1-2 tsp olive oil ($.05)
- Bunch of parsley, basil leaves and rosemary leaves (free from the garden)
- 2-3 garlic cloves ($.10)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes ($.30)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese ($.40) From the freezer from a few weeks ago when just $1.25/2 cups!
- 4 ears of corn ($.68) From the freezer when on sale a few weeks back...$.17 each
- Optional, Add 1/3 - 1/2 lb. ground beef or diced chicken for the meatier version! Plus $.75!
- Slice eggplants into 1/2 inch cubes or slightly smaller.
Cost $4.52 for meatless, $5.27 for meaty version