I adore a good pasta skillet meal. They are quick and easy to prepare on a busy weeknight, and tend to end in “polished” plates at our dinner table.
Plus, they are filling – which is just what I need for keeping up with the hungry, bottomless pit stomach boys of mine. (If we haven’t met yet, I have 4 boys!)
If you’ve not cooked with eggplant before, please pay close attention to the first line in the directions. You do not want to skip that. You’ll regret it if you do. (Like, the meal will be wasted and no one will eat it, kind of regret!) It’s crucial that you draw the bitterness out of the eggplant before cooking it!
Eggplant Pasta Skillet
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes*
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 small eggplant
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups beef stock
- 12 oz. small shell pasta
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese, as garnish
- Salad, as simple side dish
- Chop the eggplant into 1/2-inch pieces. Place in colander and sprinkle salt onto the eggplant flesh and let sit for 30 minutes in the sink.* Rinse off the salt and bitter juices.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the minced onion and garlic powder. Drain and return to the skillet. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning and let simmer. Stir in the salted AND rinsed eggplant pieces and bring to bubbling.
- Once bubbling, stir in the beef stock and the pasta. Gently stir through and press the pasta into the liquid. Cover with tight fitting lid and simmer over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until pasta is cooked.
- Prepare the salad.
- Serve Eggplant Pasta Skillet with Parmesan cheese garnish and side salad.
This recipe is featured on Julia’s Simply Southern Meal Plan Monday #116.