I’m back in my kitchen! It feels great to be back!
Here is the best recipe that I can remember for making Dominican Rice and Beans. I’m not sure there’s an “exact” recipe for these anywhere, as they are made everyday for lunch. They’re just made. I watched and helped out a few times…so we’ll see how it goes! I am no expert, so if you know better or have any tips, let us know!! I’m including some extra photos to help out 🙂
- 1 cup rice ($.20)
- 2-3 Tbsp oil ($.15) (I used canola to keep the meal GFCFSF!)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans ($.50)
- 1/2 6 oz can tomato paste (Free! Muir Glen on sale for $.75 and used $.75 coupon!)
- 1/4 green pepper ($.25)
- 1/2 onion ($.10)
- 1 large sprig of fresh cilantro ($.25)
- Adobo Seasoning ($.25)
- 1/2 cup frozen veggies ($.25)
- Traditional Sides: Salad with avocado slices, fried chicken, tostones (twice fried plantains), potato salad, macaroni salad, cabbage slaw salad
- Rinse beans in colander.
- Soak beans overnight in lukewarm or for at least 2 hours in HOT water.
- Drain beans. Replace beans in pot and cover with at least 2 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly (I set mine to 8 on my burner) and let boil/simmer for 1.5 hours, or until soft.
- You will add seasonings as they are cooking. Keep an eye on the water level, and add water more if necessary.