Saturday’s around here mean 2 things.
- Long runs…today I ran 9 miles. Just me and my Shuffle Ipod! I’m proud to say I ran the whole way with one stop at a traffic light to stretch my legs. I’m training to run the Rock and Roll half marathon in San Antonio with my sister next month!
- College football! We’re a little confused around here about who we’re rooting for. Where does your college football loyalty lie??? Mine lies with the Horned Frogs of TCU, my alma mater! Go Frogs! What about yours?
This recipe is my version of the one I found in a recent Rachael Ray Magazine.
- 10 corn tortillas ($.69)
- 2 T oil ($.05)
- 1 T cumin ($.05)
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen corn ($1)
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes ($.23) recent deal at Kroger, Hunts on sale with ecoupon and paper coupon!
- 1/2 onion, chopped ($.20)
- 2 garlic cloves ($.05)
- 1/4 cup Muir Glen salsa ($.25) (recently on sale and had a $1 coupon)
- 3-4 cups Broth (free or $1...I'm not sure how much this costs because I never buy it...this is my guess!)
- Lime juice ($.05) or real lime ($.50)
- Sour Cream ($.15)
- Distinctively Dole Southwest Salad ($2)
- Heat oven to 400. Cut corn tortillas into strips. Toss with vegetable oil and cumin. Spread onto baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until crispy and golden brown. I used some for the soup and some as chips. The boys liked the chips not in their soup.
- In saucepan, add 1 T oil and the corn. Cook a few minutes until the kernel edges brown. Add garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Then add broth and can of tomatoes. Let soup simmer for awhile, giving the flavors time to mingle!
- Ladle into bowls. Add tortilla strips, a squeeze of lime juice and a dollop of sour cream! Serve with side salads.