I actually made this before the baby was born. And of course, froze the extras. Because there were lots of extras. And we are eating those leftovers tonight!
Yield – 4 servings plus leftovers
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes (plus time to soak and cook dried beans)
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans ($.40)
- 1.5 lb. ground beef ($2.09) On sale for $1.39/lb!
- 1 onion, chopped ($.30)
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes ($.29)
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste ($.19) Used $1 coupon on can that cost $1.19!
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder ($.10)
- 3 Tbsp chili powder ($.25)
- 2 tsp salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups uncooked pasta “wheels” ** ($.25) Bought with $1/2 coupon when on sale for $1…used half the box! (Use GF pasta, if needed)
- Shredded cheese to top in each serving bowl (optional) Omit if dairy-free
- 4 small apples ($1)
**Use rice pasta for a GF meal
- Soak and cook dried beans in large pot. Drain and rinse the beans.
- In the same pot that you cooked the beans, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion. Drain and rinse. Return to pot.
- In small saucepan, cook 2 cups uncooked pasta wheels as directed on package.
- Combine the ground beef/onions, cooked red beans, diced tomatoes (undrained), tomato paste PLUS 4 cans of water, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, allowing time for flavors to mingle.
- Slice or dice apples.
- Serve Chuckwagon Chili with sliced apples.