I heart caramelized onions.
I adore the flavor and I especially love the way they make the house smell when they are caramelizing. Its a tossup between caramelizing onions and roasting garlic. Jury is still out on that one.
Also, this cornbread is perfect with my Spicy 15 Bean Chili recipe!
It’s simple…below is the recipe for caramelizing onions and baking cornbread. It can be served with your favorite chili! Enjoy!
- 1 large sweet white onion, cut into thin strips
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/3 cup cup cooking oil, such as canola or vegetable
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- While the chili is cooking, caramelize the onion slices by adding them to a skillet with the olive oil and sugar. Saute for 5 minutes on high heat, then reduce to low heat and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Prepare the cornbread batter by whisking together all the dry ingredients. Stir in the wet ingredients and let the batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Once the onions have cooked, gently stir half of them into the batter, and then pour the batter into a greased 913 glass baking dish. Drop the remaining caramelized onions on top of batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cornbread is cooked through in the center.
- Serve Caramelized Onion Cornbread withyour favorite chili!