I heart caramelized onions.
I adore the flavor and I especially love the way they make the house smell when they are caramelizing. Its a tossup between caramelizing onions and roasting garlic. Jury is still out on that one.
This cornbread is perfect with my Spicy 15 Bean Chili recipe!Â
Chili with Caramelized Onion Cornbread
- 1 large sweet white onion, cut into thin strips
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 cups white flour
- 1 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- cup cooking oil, such as canola or vegetable
- cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- While the chili is cooking, caramelize the onion slices by adding them to a skillet with the olive oil and sugar. Saute for 5 minutes on high heat, then reduce to low heat and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Prepare the cornbread batter by whisking together all the dry ingredients. Stir in the wet ingredients and let the batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Once the onions have cooked, gently stir half of them into the batter, and then pour the batter into a greased 913 glass baking dish. Drop the remaining caramelized onions on top of batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cornbread is cooked through in the center.
- Serve Caramelized Onion Cornbread withyour favorite chili!