Slow Cooker Chickpea Stew
Filling and frugal dinner recipe!
Servings - 4 servings
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 box chopped spinach
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- sliced Italian Loaf
- GF Apple Muffins
- Load all ingredients except the rice and bread into the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours. Love the smell of stew brewing all day as the flavors mix and mingle!
- Boil 2 1/4 cups water. Add rice, stir, bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat/simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Serve chickpea stew over rice. And a slice of your favorite bread on the side!
Could you throw the rice in too, or would it soak up all the liquid?
Did you actually put the bread and muffins in the crockpot too? Or are those served with the meal?
$5 Dinner Mom says
Breezy- Yes, you could certainly add some rice into the crockpot. The stew was not very “liqudy” so you’d have to add some water.
Bread and muffins on the side. I did sop up some juices with the bread.
Oh my goodness… I can’t believe I never thought to put this in the CROCKPOT!!! That’s what happens when you put frugal heads together 🙂
I’m so glad you liked it!!
The Bear and The Bug says
I would love to check out Suzie’s blog for more ideas, but the link you put up gets a “this blog has been removed” message from blogspot. Do you have a different address for her?
Is the Pork a part of this meal to go into the crock pot as part of the stew or is it only for your boys to eat on the side?
I never had chickpeas before, and the soup looks good from the picture above, so i gotten 4 can of chickpeas for a $1.00 that was mark down, i am going to try this tonight. I don’t have any zucchini, so I will be skipping it our of the recipe. No frozen spinach either, but I do have some can spinach I will use. wich me luck. I hope my family enjoy this!!!
How many people does this serve?