While it’s difficult to say what my favorite soup is…because I love soup. All kinds of soups. But at the top of the list is French Onion Soup. With a thick-ole slice of bread and topped with Swiss cheese. Nom.
I didn’t realize this would happen when I was making this sandwich, but turns out…it tastes just like French Onion Soup. Just less drippy 🙂
I don’t eat a lot of cheese, or dairy for that matter. Except when I’m pregnant. I listen very closely to my body and it’s cravings…and there are certain times that I just c.r.a.v.e cheese. Any and all kinds of varieties, typically in sliced form. I’m sure it’s because baby is having a little growth spurt and my body knows it needs extra calcium. So I listen, and I oblige.
A few weeks ago, I was craving cheese and decided to step it up by adding some caramelized onions. And a little Parmesan too.
This melty, gooey, delicious-ness hit. the. craving. on the head!
Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 large white onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- In a skillet, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Add the sliced onions and heat them on low, stirring often, for 30 minutes to caramelize them.
- While the onions are caramelizing, stir together the softened butter and Parmesan cheese. Spread the Parmesan butter on the insides of the bread. Butter the outsides of the bread for grilling.
- Once the onions have caramelized, place them onto a plate and gently pat them dry. (You don’t want them to be too runny and make the bread soggy before grilling.)
- Add a slice of Swiss cheese and some of the caramelized onions onto the buttered breads. Grill on a skillet or electric griddle. Flip carefully to prevent onions from sliding out!
Jocelyn Pascall says
Oh my – this is my kind of sandwich. I might have to have this for dinner now that I’ve seen this. I think I even have all of the ingredients!
Sounds yummy-A way to jazz up my favorite sandwich. Thanks!
Wow, that sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing!
Alea Milham says
These look amazing Erin! I am making these for lunch today using GF bread.
Christi K says
Unfortunately, I am on a diet…but I halved the recipe and my daughter reports this is the best grilled cheese EVER.
Sounds delicious. Can’t wait to try it!
Sounds delicious! Have to try this tonight!
Lisa @ A Little Slice of Life says
Yum! I’m drooling. I guess it’s off to the store for some swiss cheese.
Chris Thomas says
I like the addition of the Parmesan cheese. I’ll have to try that.
I usually kick these up a notch by rendering slices of fairly thick sliced bacon. I then caramelize the onions in the bacon fat, add the bacon and caramelized onions to the sandwich and throw them into the Panini press. I know, it’s evil.
Can’t wait to try this tonight! Grated or shredded Parmesan cheese?