So black-eyed peas…they’re kinda plain. It’s like they’re crying out for help! Crying out for zest and zip!!!
And what better ingredients to help than mustard greens and some zesty jalapeno diced tomatoes!
You’d never have known these were black eyed peas in this dish!
Let me show you how it’s made.
Serve it over brown rice.
Like I said, you’d have never known that the black-eyed peas were in this dish! And it was filling enough to be a meal in and of itself…
Brown Rice with Black Eyed Peas & Greens
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice uncooked
- 1 bunch mustard greens sliced
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 Tbsp butter or dairy free margarine
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes with zesty jalapenos drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the brown rice as directed on the package.
- Slice the stem out of the mustard green leaves.
- Roll up the leaves together and slice down, so it will cook faster.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter, then add the chopped onion and the crushed garlic.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes, or until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Then add the sliced greens and saute for 2-3 minutes, or until wilted.
- Then stir in the black-eyed peas and the diced tomatoes. Let simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve the Black-eyed Peas and Greens over Brown Rice.
This recipe is featured on Meal Plan Monday #209.