This was a most delicious quiche!Â Straight from the garden!
When it was time for dinner, I called the boys in from outside.Â Bubby asked what was for dinner and I thought about it for a second.
No.Â Don’t tell him that.Â He won’t eat it!
“Egg Pie,” I told him.
“Yeah.Â I like egg pie.”
And he runs inside to wash up.
By the time he gets to the table…”I love egg pie.”
And Cheeks was even saying, “I wu egg pie”…copycatting his big brother.
And they both ate it up!
Just like we call broccoli, “trees.”Â So we now call quiche, “egg pie!”
Homemade Whole Wheat Crust.Â Squash from the garden.Â 2 tomatoes from the garden.Â And cheeseless.Â Yet still delicious!
Oh yeah.Â I intended to make this in a pie plate.Â But after I saw how many veggies there were, I doubled my pie crust recipe to make enough crust for a 9 x 13.Â What you see below in the “crust” portion is enough crust for a 9 x 13 or for 2 pie plates.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped ($.30)
- 1 medium yellow summer squash (free from the garden)
- 2 medium tomatoes, 1 chopped, 1 sliced (free from the garden)
- 10-12 whole basil leaves (free from the garden)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed ($.10)
- 6 eggs ($.60)
- 1 1/2 cup milk ($.15) I used rice milk!
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1-2 cups shredded cheese ($.75-$1.50)
- 1/2 cantaloupe ($.72)
- 1 cup white flour ($.20)
- 1 cup wheat flour ($.28)
- 2/3 cup shortening or butter ($.50)
- 1 tsp salt
- 6-8 Tbsp COLD water