So today is my birthday. And I’ll be having cake for every meal today.
(Well, maybe not…but it’s a nice thought right?!?)
I’m starting the day out with a piece of this Almond Raspberry Breakfast Cake.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sucanat or white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raspberries
- Topping: 1/2 cup ground almonds, 1/3 cup sucanat or sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 9x9 or equivalent round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer, beat together the butter or margarine, sucanat or sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and milk. Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda, and salt. Beat all together. Note: If you use white flour or half and half white-wheat, you will need to decrease the milk by 1/4 to 1/3 cups. Fold in the raspberries.
- Pour the batter into the greased cake pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the topping. Cut in the butter or margarine with a fork or pastry blender. Sprinkle the topping over the batter in the cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle.
- Let cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve Almond Raspberry Breakfast Cake.