July 4th Muffins….Red, White and Blue!
I used my Fruit and Veggie Muffin recipe as a base for these muffins. Then I topped them with an almond struesel!
Almond, Raspberry and Blueberry Muffins
Red, white, and blueberry muffins for your patriotic picnic!
Servings - 12 servings
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar + brown sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon + 1 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- In stand mixer or mixing bowl, stir eggs, oil, applesauce, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Add baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, wheat flour and white flour. Mix until batter forms and is no longer lumpy. Add blueberries and raspberries.
- Carefully fold in blueberries and raspberries with plastic spatula.
- In small bowl, mix ground almonds, 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter or margarine.
- Add batter to muffin cups and top each muffin cup with 1 tsp of almond streusel.
- Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on cooling rack. Serve warm with butter.
Those look like a perfect way to start a summer day, especially July 4th!
What a great idea for the 4th! Those look scrumptious 🙂
those look so cute and patriotic 🙂
Yum…I sense a Homeschool Baking Lesson coming up! 🙂
Jamie Asselstine says
I just wanted to say, I loved these muffins, but I did find, since there’s just myself and two little ones, that after the third day, due to the amount of fresh juicy fruit, they started to mould. The really should be frozen or refrigerated if they aren’t going to be eaten within a couple of days.
Thanks for the heads up…ours were gone within 24 hours! Definitely freeze then if won’t be eaten right away!
hi – i am trying to print this recipe but don’t see a link? help?
These sound incredible. With the fresh berries available now, might have to give these a try.