My kids and I love sweet potatoes, but my husband isn’t as fond of them as we are, so I am always trying new ways of serving sweet potatoes to make them more appealing to him. When I adapted my Twice Baked Potatoes recipe and replaced the potatoes with sweet potatoes I finally found a recipe that he really liked.
I usually bake sweet potatoes in the oven. But there are times when I am cooking something that takes up the entire oven or is cooked at a very different temperature and it makes it inconvenient to bake sweet potatoes at the same time. On those days, I
wish for a double oven use the slow cooker to “bake” the sweet potatoes.
Wash the sweet potatoes, but don’t dry them. Place the sweet potatoes in the slow cookers.
Cut an oval in the top of the sweet potatoes, peel back the skin, and scoop out the inside of the sweet potatoes.
Mash the sweet potatoes. Add butter, honey, spices and whip with a blender until smooth and creamy.
Slow Cooker Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Wash sweet potatoes, but do not dry them.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 - 8 hours.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, remove them from the slow cooker and cut an oval into the top of the sweet potato.
- Pull off the top and scoop out the inside of the sweet potato.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork or potato masher.
- Add butter, honey, and spices and whip ingredients with a mixer.
- Spoon the mixture back into the sweet potatoes.
- Wrap the sweet potatoes in foil and place in the slow cooker on low or warm until you are ready to serve them.
What is your favorite way to eat sweet potatoes?
Wonderful! Thank you!
Shannon C says
Thanks! I live on sweet potatoes and…waffles.
Nice hands-off way to prep – thanks! My kids won’t eat sweet potato at all, but I enjoy it. My husband is ambivalent, except he really likes this simple recipe for curried sweet potatoes: Peel and cut 2 sweet potatoes into 1″ chunks. Melt 2 tsp butter in microwave-safe covered dish. Add 1-2 tsp curry powder (Madras is best, IMO) and mix, then add sweet potatoes. Microwave until done, or (better) roast 35-40 min at 350F in oven. Everyone to whom I’ve served this has loved it!
That sounds great! I can’t wait to give it a try!
Please sign me up for the free email updates.
I’m sorry, I can’t sign you up. You have to sign up for yourself in the top right hand box.