Shepherd’s Pie and Acorn Squash
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 6 baking potatoes ($1)
- 2 Tbsp butter ($.10)
- 1 cup milk ($.17 )
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb ground beef ($.75)
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes ($.23)
- 1 cup frozen corn and peas, thawed ($.25)
- 1 cup cheese ($.75)
- 1 acorn squash ($.69)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut the acorn squash in half. Remove seeds.
- Place the squash halves cut side down into a glass baking dish with about 1 cup of water. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 for an hour.
- Peel, slice and boil potatoes. When tender, drain and mash with butter, milk and salt and pepper.
- Brown and drain ground beef. Mix canned tomatoes with ground beef once cooked.
- Place ground beef and tomatoes in bottom of 8×8 baking dish. Sprinkle thawed peas and corn on top. Spread prepared mashed potatoes over top. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes until hot and cheese is bubbling.
- Serve Shepherd’s Pie with a side of acorn squash.