Shepherd's Pie and Acorn Squash
Servings: 4 persons
- 6 baking potatoes ($1)
- 2 Tbsp butter ($.10)
- 1 cup milk ($.17 )
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb ground beef ($.75)
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes ($.23)
- 1 cup frozen corn and peas, thawed ($.25)
- 1 cup cheese ($.75)
- 1 acorn squash ($.69)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut the acorn squash in half. Remove seeds.
- Place the squash halves cut side down into a glass baking dish with about 1 cup of water. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 for an hour.
- Peel, slice and boil potatoes. When tender, drain and mash with butter, milk and salt and pepper.
- Brown and drain ground beef. Mix canned tomatoes with ground beef once cooked.
- Place ground beef and tomatoes in bottom of 88 baking dish. Sprinkle thawed peas and corn on top. Spread prepared mashed potatoes over top. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes until hot and cheese is bubbling.
- Serve Shepherd's Pie with a side of acorn squash.